» Machine gun knife sheath
by Genklen February 4th 2017, 8:01 pm

» Paper truncheon
by Genklen December 6th 2016, 4:00 pm

» Morningstar against clown
by Genklen December 6th 2016, 3:33 pm

» Power of sling
by Genklen June 17th 2016, 7:07 pm

» Nailing playing card, and blindfolder throwing knife.
by Genklen April 6th 2016, 5:01 pm

» Nailed (thrown)milk carton to the "wall"
by Genklen March 11th 2016, 8:03 pm

» Rubber Knuckle-Duster
by Genklen March 5th 2016, 5:22 pm

» Neck knife throwing
by Genklen February 13th 2016, 6:20 pm

» Can the pliers be used as a knuckle duster?
by Genklen January 29th 2016, 6:12 pm

» Offical Swedish army slingshot
by Genklen December 23rd 2015, 12:54 pm

» My Collapsible Staff
by serafim December 7th 2015, 4:31 pm

» Knife throwing with leg
by Genklen November 16th 2015, 8:24 pm

» Belt buckle weapon
by Genklen September 22nd 2015, 3:42 pm

» Toyota car jack; weapon?
by Genklen July 10th 2015, 6:43 pm

» JIPPO-Catapult
by Genklen May 14th 2015, 5:15 pm

» Age and Location
by KVLT April 20th 2015, 4:10 am

» Medieval Soldier's armarments
by Wolfie January 21st 2015, 10:54 pm

» Machinegun War Hammer
by ChaosDragon August 24th 2014, 6:55 pm

» Can 8 euros be used as a weapon?
by Genklen July 13th 2014, 7:24 pm

» Diagram of Atemi
by Alvendam May 7th 2014, 10:07 am

» Knife Throwing Championships 2013!!
by SINZA March 6th 2014, 9:22 am

» Hello all.
by AkuroAdenn February 28th 2014, 4:47 pm

» Hi everyone.
by ChaosDragon February 22nd 2014, 8:28 pm

» Maori Taiaha
by Chasing-Butterflies December 31st 2013, 9:24 pm

» Hey all!
by mozza December 18th 2013, 8:37 am

» Bonechakus + Other BONE WEAPONRY
by mozza December 18th 2013, 8:01 am

» Alice Cooper & Throwing Knives
by DogMachine December 17th 2013, 12:50 am

» Hello All!
by LightShroudShadow November 10th 2013, 9:30 pm

» Intro and Sneek Peek at new build
by DogMachine October 31st 2013, 6:30 am

» Practicalities of the AC Hidden Blade
by ChaosDragon October 22nd 2013, 4:24 am

» Paintboy360olie's hidden blade
by tokeupblowup October 3rd 2013, 10:30 am

» APOLOGY
by ChaosDragon September 21st 2013, 6:17 am

» Quick Introduction
by Abberance August 29th 2013, 9:39 pm

» Slinging "bola" chains
by Genklen June 3rd 2013, 4:45 pm

» The Assassin Extension Knife
by Mark Adams May 26th 2013, 6:37 am

» Forum Noobie
by jerryk25 April 30th 2013, 1:46 pm

» 9" nails as ammo: New slingshot pumpgun!
by shayl33ninjapro189 April 18th 2013, 7:12 am

» At last. A pumpgun slingshot tutorial.
by JohnSully April 4th 2013, 4:20 am

» My Handcarved, Butterfly Warclubs {plural}
by Chasing-Butterflies March 28th 2013, 2:35 am

» Shooting Chainsaws with the slingshot
by Genklen February 19th 2013, 1:23 pm

» Hello I Joined the Forum Today Jan. 11, 2013
by john6553 February 1st 2013, 10:53 pm

» I'm new :o shocker!
by NoaIsumi January 16th 2013, 1:46 am

» Greetings!
by NegativePower December 31st 2012, 10:57 pm

» 2012 Knife-Throwing Competition
by Genklen December 29th 2012, 6:02 pm

» How to win every knife fight you are in in 2 steps
by Wolfie December 27th 2012, 2:32 am

» My Taiaha in progress
by RedneckNinja December 13th 2012, 10:04 pm

» Greetings
by Chasing-Butterflies December 13th 2012, 12:47 pm

» - Deleted -
by Guest November 19th 2012, 1:36 am

» Want some drawing or schematics of knuckleduster.
by cowscankill November 10th 2012, 9:40 am

Share | 

Beast of a Throwing Knife!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SINZA
WEAPONEER
WEAPONEER

Number of posts : 3416

PostSubject: Beast of a Throwing Knife!   January 12th 2012, 6:24 pm

Just got my #19 from Bobby Branton...WOW!! What a knife! This thing's a MONSTER compaired to any of my other throwers! 14" and 3/16 inch thick! I don't think I'll ever bend the tip on this one. I love it! If you don't have one you might want to take a look at his designs. I know I'm getting more!
http://www.brantonknives.com/docs/throwingknives.htm

Back to top Go down
http://www.sinzaknives.com
cowscankill
Weapons Master
Weapons Master

Number of posts : 1371

PostSubject: Re: Beast of a Throwing Knife!   January 12th 2012, 8:52 pm

Woowee those prices again. But looks fantastic! Can't wait till I can get a job.
Back to top Go down
http://www.instructables.com/member/cowscankill
Hidden-Blade
XIPHOID MASTER
XIPHOID MASTER

Number of posts : 1052

PostSubject: Re: Beast of a Throwing Knife!   January 13th 2012, 10:25 am

Hey Sinz, is it best to have the handle or not? Might see if I can get me a few of these bad boys!

H-B
Xiphoid Death
Back to top Go down
SINZA
WEAPONEER
WEAPONEER

PostSubject: Re: Beast of a Throwing Knife!   January 13th 2012, 1:35 pm

Hidden-Blade wrote:
Hey Sinz, is it best to have the handle or not? Might see if I can get me a few of these bad boys!
H-B
Xiphoid Death

It really makes no difference. Either way it still just slides from your hand.
I will say this, Branton knives have been used by many people to WIN throwing competitions. One of the best throwers I've ever seen, Pat Minter, used a set of Branton #13's to win World Champion in 2001.

Most of my throwers have no handles, my daggers have grip-tape handles. This has thick handles, really fills your hand nice. It's different, but looks and feels great.
I have two more being made. I need a matched set of three knives for competition, so what ever knives I find that I like I get at least three.
Back to top Go down
Hidden-Blade
XIPHOID MASTER
XIPHOID MASTER

PostSubject: Re: Beast of a Throwing Knife!   January 13th 2012, 3:09 pm

Ah ok, must be some light material to keep the balance? I really want to get back into knife throwing (I actually mis-read the prices on these, I read the $10 part Embarassed ) so do you know any decent knife brands/knives (available to UK) for about £30?

H-B
Xiphoid Death
Back to top Go down
SINZA
WEAPONEER
WEAPONEER

PostSubject: Re: Beast of a Throwing Knife!   January 13th 2012, 3:31 pm

I think the handle material is micarta.
Just dropped $300 on 3 more for a matched set of 4.
As for your question, not sure. Just try to get at least 12".

If you're serious about learning...join this group on facebook.

Knife & Tomahawk Throwers

With this you can be in contact with most of the best throwers in the world. They will have the answers you seek. Many of them are cool enough that they just send knives to new throwers for free just to get them into the sport. Don't expect that, but it does happen. MANY MANY cool people on there from all over. If you're serious about learning these are the people to know!
Back to top Go down
Hidden-Blade
XIPHOID MASTER
XIPHOID MASTER

PostSubject: Re: Beast of a Throwing Knife!   January 13th 2012, 3:53 pm

I've asked to join, I would like to get really good at throwing, I can hit a target at about 5 feet at the moment, not good, but atleast I can throw them and get them to stick 8/10 times. I bought a set of 3 knives ages ago, they weren't that well balanced, will this effect me much when I come to properly balanced knives?

I'm looking online now, I'll keep searching around, if I find some promising ones, I'll put them on, would you be able to give me a thumbs up or down? Actually, found one here, it's 13 1/4" overall, with a 9" blade. I'll get some of those indoor targets done in my room.

Thanks for all of the advice man, really appreciate it! cheers

H-B
Xiphoid Death
Back to top Go down
SINZA
WEAPONEER
WEAPONEER

PostSubject: Re: Beast of a Throwing Knife!   January 13th 2012, 4:38 pm

The only way to get good is lots of practice. But it helps if you know what you're doing wrong. I would suggest getting one of the instructional DVDs. I really like the one by Jack Dagger and the one by Michael Pearl. Great instuctions and good fun.

That SureBalance is a hefty knife. A little big for indoors. For indoors you might go a little shorter. I really like my 10 1/2" daggers from Kit Rea, they come in a 3-pack for about $40.

Balance is way over-rated. Tomahawks are compleatly unbalanced and they throw easier. It's just a matter of paying attention to what you're doing and making corrections.

You must be able to see and understand how the knife is hitting. From about 7 ft hold by blade and toss for a 1/2 spin. If the blade hits dead center 90degrees it's perfect. If the handle is pointing up you're over-spinning, to fix that move slightly forward. If the handle is pointing down you're under-spinning, you need to move slightly back. This is what you need to learn, this works for 1/2 spin at 7ft blade throw, 1 spin at 10ft handle throw, 1 1/2 spin at 13ft blade throw, etc... This works no matter how far back you are, same thing guys do when throwing long-throws at 100ft+
Back to top Go down
Hidden-Blade
XIPHOID MASTER
XIPHOID MASTER

PostSubject: Re: Beast of a Throwing Knife!   January 13th 2012, 5:01 pm

I used to get a 1/2 spin throwing from 5ft but yeah, they did used to be angled down, at least I know how to improve now...Found these 10 1/4" for £32 here. Looked up a 100ft tomahawk throw and...Holy shit...Man they've got some skills! Ordered Jack Dagger's DVD, I'll get Michael Pearl's after my Birthday. See if I can get my knives now, might be next week, just got my first debit card and gotta' find out if I can use it online.
Can't wait now, I'll get out tomorrow with my cheap 9" knives and have a play! Very Happy

H-B
Xiphoid Death
Back to top Go down
cowscankill
Weapons Master
Weapons Master

Number of posts : 1371

PostSubject: Re: Beast of a Throwing Knife!   January 13th 2012, 5:16 pm

One thing I don't think I've ever mentioned is that I have Ehlers Danlos that screws up my ligaments and such, so I can't join school sports and will never join the military.
I never thought about how throwing would affect my shoulder, so I'm going to look up if it's safe enough for me to pitch. If so, I might actually get into knife throwing because it's one of the few sports that doesn't involve heavy weights or intense cardio. I ALSO have Marfan's... so I can't do anything that'll strain my heart.
I was going to post in a separate topic when I got the results, but meh, not like I've changed from being a nerd/weapon designer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.instructables.com/member/cowscankill
Hidden-Blade
XIPHOID MASTER
XIPHOID MASTER

PostSubject: Re: Beast of a Throwing Knife!   January 13th 2012, 5:20 pm

Awh man that sucks, I hope you'll be alright throwing knives, makes me shoulder ache after a while, so I don't know what it'll do to you man.

H-B
Xiphoid Death
Back to top Go down
SINZA
WEAPONEER
WEAPONEER

PostSubject: Re: Beast of a Throwing Knife!   January 13th 2012, 5:50 pm

Make sure any knife you get is NOT sharp. Many of these knives come with a shrp edge, you do NOT want sharp edges on a throwing knife, just a sharp point. If you get any knives with a sharp edgemake sure to dull the edges safe before you throw.
The Walther ATK Advanced throwing knives look like they will work fine. Just dull them first. You don't want to slice you hand up.
Jack's instruction will help you greatly. He does a wonderful job of explaining what people do wrong and how to correct it.

On youtube check out Pat Minter aka The Machine. That man is amazing! 60ft throws right on the spot he calls.

Back to top Go down
SINZA
WEAPONEER
WEAPONEER

PostSubject: Re: Beast of a Throwing Knife!   January 13th 2012, 5:52 pm

@cowscankill

Knife Throwing and Your Health

Before starting any exercise program, Anaerobic or Aerobic, you should consult your health care professional and discuss your exercise program before starting.

Eccentric Isotonic exercise, such as knife throwing entails, is also called 'active range of motion exercise.' The muscle shortens during Isotonic exercise and muscle contraction causes a rise in the heart rate and a marked increase in stroke volume that results in an increase in cardiac output and a net decrease in peripheral resistance (due to vasodilatation of contracted muscles). Isotonic exercise such as knife throwing will produce a moderate rise in systolic blood pressure, but the diastolic pressure usually remains unchanged.

Anerobic exercise is typically used by athletes in non-endurance sports to build power. Muscles that are trained under anaerobic conditions develop biologically differently giving them greater performance in short duration activities. The contraction and release of muscles from start to finish of a single knife throw is a good example of this. Knife throwing utilizes the entire muscular structure in the act of throwing a knife.

Swimming is a very similar exercise in that it utilizes all the muscles of the body. The successful knife thrower develops muscle memory in the consistency of the contraction and release of muscles used in the delivery of the knife.

The Anaerobic threshold is the exercise intensity at which lactate starts to accumulate in the blood stream. This happens when it is produced faster than it can be removed (metabolized). This point is sometimes referred to as the lactate threshold or the onset of blood lactate accumulation.

Knife throwing unless done in excess of a thrower's fitness level is an exercise that is normally below the anaerobic threshold and any lactate produced by the muscles is removed by the body without it building up. It is advisable to include an Aerobic regime with your daily knife throwing activities such as walking, cycling or swimming to increase proper breathing techniques and an increase in general fitness.

The Anaerobic threshold is a useful measure for deciding exercise intensity. Not overdoing either the anaerobic value of knife throwing or the aerobic value of walking, swimming, or other activities that will use a large amount of oxygen and gross muscle movement, is important. Soreness or blood lactate accumulation will soon disappear with a consistently increasing workout regimen.

In other words, start out slow and increase your thowing and your choice of aerobic exercise in a systematic manner. Throwing one hundred knives from half or one spin and walking a half a mile a few days is recommended to get you started to stay below your lactate threshold.

An increase every three to four days in both the Anaerobic and Aerobic exercise should suffice to build your endurance to the desired level when starting knife throwing if you have had a sedentary lifestyle.

Article contributed by: Dr. Michael J. Bainton, Executive Director
International Knife Throwers Hall of Fame

Back to top Go down
jerryk25
XIPHOID MASTER
XIPHOID MASTER

Number of posts : 2061

PostSubject: Re: Beast of a Throwing Knife!   January 13th 2012, 9:26 pm

That model #19 looks sweet.

It's been a while since I threw knives.
Given the time it takes me
to walk to the target after a throw,
I could probably only pitch 10 times an hour.

I still have a big slice of tree trunk,
about 30 inches dia x 3 inches thick
but I never got to hanging it anywhere.
Back to top Go down
SINZA
WEAPONEER
WEAPONEER

PostSubject: Re: Beast of a Throwing Knife!   January 20th 2012, 6:35 pm

Made a prototype leg sheath for my throwing knives.
This was just to get the sizes right, plus it will be a month or two before I can get some black leather, this was left over from whip making.
I'll make two of these in black leather with lacing and tooled designs. But this will work for now. Has a ring on each side and a strap that goes around the leg with a spring clasp holding it closed. It's made so the knives hang right where my hand is. If you've ever worn a fixed knife on a belt sheath you know it's a little awkward drawing upward, this is in a more natural position, much quicker draw.
The ring in the middle is so when I sit down the strap doesn't buckle, it just slides around the ring. Works nice.
Back to top Go down
SINZA
WEAPONEER
WEAPONEER

PostSubject: Re: Beast of a Throwing Knife!   March 23rd 2012, 10:30 am

New toys!! Had to get more!! Got 3 more #19s. The #17 is for a buddy...but as he hasn't paid for it yet...it just might stay with me....

THIS is what a real-professional throwing-knife is.

Bobby Branton...buy his knives! also, join his AKTA. It's one of the oldest knifethrowing clubs AND he's a great wonderful guy! Bobby has become a good friend, make him yours. SINZA
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beast of a Throwing Knife!   

Back to top Go down

Beast of a Throwing Knife!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SINZA - Exotic Automatic -Exotic Weapon Design & Construction :: BLADES - Mans First and Best Tool/Weapon :: KNIFE THROWING-
Jump to: